What documents do you need when scrapping a car


What Documents Do You Need When Scrapping A Car?

When you’re looking into scrapping a car you need to make sure you know all the facts including all the legal bits. It’s you responsibility to ensure your car has been properly disposed of and won’t end up back on the road. So one of the most important things is to find a reliable company like Metal Monkey Recycling, we ensure every car we collect is disposed of in the most environmentally friendly way possible.



Dig Out Your V5

Before your car is collected for scrap you should ensure you have your V5 at the ready. When scrapping a car you need to be able to prove you own the vehicle so if you don’t have the V5 make sure you have proof of identification such as your passport or driving license. If you do have the V5, section 9 of the form needs to be filled in by both parties and the relevant paperwork then needs to be sent off to the DVLA. This provides proof you are no longer the registered keeper.

Certificate of Destruction

It’s also important to ensure you receive a Certificate of Destruction, this ensures that your car has been disposed of safely and legally and that the vehicle will be removed from the DVLA system. You will receive your Certificate of Destruction after the car has been disposed of.

Don’t forget you can also reclaim any unused road tax; you simply need to fill in a V14 form and send it off to the DVLA.

If you would like further information or advice on scrapping a car don’t hesitate to get in touch with the team here at Metal Monkey. We have the knowledge and the experience to offer you expert advice on the best option for your old or unwanted car. Get in touch with us today on 01642 802396 or email us at